UFO sighting reports released by US government - 'Orbs swarming in all directions'<br>Skip to content
Home<br>News<br>US & Canada<br>UK<br>UK Politics<br>England<br>N. Ireland<br>N. Ireland Politics<br>Scotland<br>Scotland Politics<br>Wales<br>Wales Politics<br>Africa<br>Asia<br>China<br>India<br>Australia<br>Europe<br>Latin America<br>Middle East<br>In Pictures<br>BBC InDepth<br>BBC Verify<br>Sport<br>Business<br>World of Business<br>Technology of Business<br>NYSE Opening Bell<br>Technology<br>Watch Documentaries<br>Artificial Intelligence<br>Intelligence Revolution<br>AI v the Mind<br>Tech Now<br>Health<br>Watch Documentaries<br>Culture<br>Watch Documentaries<br>Film & TV<br>Music<br>Art & Design<br>Style<br>Books<br>Entertainment News<br>Arts<br>Watch Documentaries<br>Arts in Motion<br>Travel<br>Watch Documentaries<br>Destinations<br>Africa<br>Antarctica<br>Asia<br>Australia and Pacific<br>Caribbean & Bermuda<br>Central America<br>Europe<br>Middle East<br>North America<br>South America<br>World’s Table<br>Culture & Experiences<br>Adventures<br>The SpeciaList<br>Earth<br>Watch Documentaries<br>Science<br>Natural Wonders<br>Climate Solutions<br>Sustainable Business<br>Green Living<br>Audio<br>Podcast Categories<br>Radio<br>Audio FAQs<br>Video<br>Watch Documentaries<br>BBC Maestro<br>Discover the World<br>Live<br>Live News<br>Live Sport<br>Documentaries
Site search
Home
News
Sport
Business
Technology
Health
Culture
Arts
Travel
Earth
Audio
Video
Live
Documentaries
Weather<br>Newsletters<br>Watch Live
US government releases UFO sighting reports - 'Orbs swarming in all directions'
14 hours agoShareSaveAdd as preferred on Google
Rebecka Pieder
Watch: More UFO footage declassified by US government
The Pentagon has released scores of UFO files, with descriptions of reported sightings of orbs, discs and fireballs spanning 80 years.
Witnesses described seeing "green orbs, discs and fireballs" dating as far back as 1948, the files show. More recently, a senior US intelligence officer said he saw "countless orange orbs swarming in all directions" last year, rendering him "speechless".
The fresh batch of materials includes a half dozen documents, a handful of audio recordings and 51 videos, including one of an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) being shot to bits. The circumstances are unexplained.
The files are the second set released after an order this year from US President Donald Trump.
The Pentagon uploaded the first set of 161 files on 8 May, promising there would be more to come. The second was released on Friday.
One of the documents is a 116-page Armed Forces Special Weapons Program report from 1948-1950 that said witnesses had recounted 209 sightings of unidentified objects - orbs and other objects the US government now calls "unidentified anomalous phenomena" (UAP).
The report includes accounts of a series of sightings and investigations in Sandia, New Mexico, where witnesses described how UFOs manoeuvred, flew away and disappeared but then exploded.
In another document, the unnamed "senior US intelligence officer" provided his first-hand account of seeing phenomena from a military helicopter in 2025 at a location listed as the "western United States".
He described spotting mysterious "orange orbs flaring up and down" when investigating "loud thuds heard in the mountains" on a test range where others had spotted UFOs in the preceding days.
The "series of close UAP encounters" lasted for more than an hour, he said. The UAP were "super-hot", low to the ground and moving at high speed.
"They were oval-shaped, orange with a white or yellow centre, and emitted light in all directions," the officer reported. He said the swarm appeared to coalesce as they flared up and down for several minutes, "forming a distinct triangle before vanishing".
He said he did not take any photos because he was too focused on "assessing what it was and whether it posed a threat".
The files do not draw any definitive conclusions about the existence of extraterrestrial life or provide any evidence of alien technology. US officials have said that people could decide for themselves what they show.
Following the first release of files, Trump wrote that "with these new Documents and Videos, the people can decide for themselves, 'WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?' Have Fun and Enjoy!"
US Department of Defense
A view from the Moon during the Apollo 12 mission in 1969, where unidentified phenomena are highlighted and enlarged
Most of the videos disclosed on Friday feature grainy footage captured by US military infrared cameras between 2018 and 2023.
In an accompanying description, the Pentagon explained that members of Congress requested the videos in March but that many lacked a "substantiated chain of custody", meaning they could have been tampered with at some point.
One of those videos purportedly shows the shooting-down of a blurry object by a US fighter jet. A description says it happened over Lake Huron in February 2023, around the time that a Chinese surveillance balloon traversed the US, spurring increased scrutiny of UFOs.
The Biden administration ordered the destruction of several unidentified objects at the time, among them what officials described...