Blue Origin completes investigation into New Glenn launch failure - SpaceNews
Close
Search for:
Search
Close
Skip to content
Menu
Sign In
Open Search
Search for:
Search
Home / Blue Origin completes investigation into New Glenn launch failure
New Glenn lifts off April 19 on the NG-3 mission. Credit: Blue Origin
WASHINGTON — Blue Origin has completed the investigation into the failure on the third flight of its New Glenn rocket, clearing launches of the vehicle to resume.
In a May 22 statement, Blue Origin said the Federal Aviation Administration approved its report investigating the April 19 launch of New Glenn on the NG-3 mission. During the flight, the second stage, called GS2 by the company, suffered a problem during its second burn. That stranded the payload, the BlueBird 7 satellite for AST SpaceMobile, in an orbit too low for the spacecraft to recover from.
“Prior to our second GS2 burn, we experienced an off-nominal thermal condition, and, as a result, one of the BE-3U engines didn’t achieve full thrust to reach our target orbit,” Blue Origin stated.
Sign up for First Up: Get the latest updates on SpaceX, Artemis, NASA and more. From Jeff Foust, First Up is a recap of the day's space industry news, including civil, commercial, and military space developments.
Sign up
By submitting this form, you agree to the SpaceNews privacy policy and terms and conditions and to receive email from us and our partners. You can opt-out at any time.
In a statement to SpaceNews, the FAA confirmed that it had closed the investigation, led by Blue Origin, into the launch failure and will allow launches of the vehicle to resume.
“The final mishap report identified the direct cause of the mishap as a cryogenic leak that froze a hydraulic line and led to a thrust anomaly during the second-stage engine burn,” the agency stated.
“Blue Origin identified nine corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence of the event,” the FAA added, but did not disclose the corrective actions. “The FAA will verify that Blue Origin implements corrective actions prior to the launch of the next New Glenn mission.”
Blue Origin did not disclose additional details but said it was preparing for its next New Glenn launch, NG-4. Earlier in the day, Dave Limp, chief executive of the company, posted a video of a new vehicle being installed on a transporter-erector. “Next stop integrated hotfire,” he wrote.
Blue Origin has not disclosed a schedule for the NG-4 mission or the customer. AST SpaceMobile, the customer for NG-3, recently shipped three BlueBird satellites to Florida for launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 in June.
“An upper-stage anomaly like this is not uncommon early in programs, and we feel optimistic about them getting back to the pad soon,” Scott Wisniewski, AST’s chief strategy officer, said in a May 11 earnings call. He said the next New Glenn launch for AST will carry four BlueBird satellites but did not disclose a timeframe for that mission.
Related
Jeff Foust
Jeff Foust writes about space policy, commercial space, and related topics for SpaceNews.
He earned a Ph.D. in planetary sciences from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a bachelor’s degree with honors in geophysics and planetary science...<br>More by Jeff Foust
Stellar Dispatch
all dispatches >>
LatConnect 60 announces accelerated growth investment round to build AUKUS-aligned Highest Resolution SWIR Satellite constellation
New CSF Report Sees Up To 7,000+ Satellites Launched Annually By Mid 2030’s, Highlights The Challenges With US Launch Infrastructure
Rocketeers are Competing at the IREC for Your Attention
Global Smallsat Deployment Accelerates, with 16,900 Satellites Projected Through 2035
Space Foundation Premieres National Space Day Video May 1
Job Exchange
all jobs >>
Sign in
Close
Continue with Google
Or
Enter the code sent to your email
Email address
Enter your password
Sign in by entering the code we sent to , or clicking the magic link in the email.
Continue<br>Resend code<br>Email me a one-time code instead<br>Forgot password<br>Create an account<br>Sign in to an existing account<br>Go back
Continue<br>Set a password (optional)
To continue reading this article:
Register now to get<br>2 more free articles this month.
You’ll also receive our weekly Editor’s Choice, SpaceNews This Week and Opinions newsletters. Opt-out at any time.
Sign up
Sign in to an existing account
Get unlimited access to read on<br>SpaceNews.com, our SpaceNews mobile app and SpaceNews digital magazine every month.
Subscribe for $25/month or pay less than $5 per week with an annual subscription.
Get Digital All-Access
Cancel anytime. Sales tax may apply. No refunds. Terms and conditions apply.
See all subscription options
Link
Copy link
Digital All-Access Subscription (Monthly)<br>$25.00 / month
Digital All-Access Subscription (Quarterly)<br>$70.00 every 3 months
Digital All-Access Subscription (Yearly)<br>$250 / year
Digital All-Access Subscription (2 Years)<br>$450 every 2...